- Old Norse
- nounthe extinct Germanic language of medieval Scandinavia and Iceland from about to 700 to 1350• Hyponyms: ↑Old Icelandic
* * *nounUsage: capitalized O&N: the North Germanic language of the Scandinavian peoples prior to about A.D. 1350; specifically : the western branch of Old Norse including Old Norwegian and Old Icelandic — see indo-european languages table
* * *the Germanic language of medieval Scandinavia. Abbr.: ON[1835-45]
* * *Old Norse see ↑Norse• • •Main Entry: ↑old
* * *Old Norse,1. the Scandinavian language from the Viking period to about 1300.
* * *n. the North Germanic (Scandinavian) language of medieval Norway, Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden up to the 14th century, from which the modern Scandinavian languages are derived. See also Old Icelandic
* * *the language of Norway, Iceland, Denmark and Sweden until the 14th century
Useful english dictionary. 2012.